Monday 20 March 2017

#3 The Sign of Four



King Kong

The first King Kong film I watched was the 2005 film, by Peter Jackson. It was quite a few years ago, and I barely remember it now. I do remember that, I found it overlong and boring during the first act. I am greatly anticipating the film Kong: Skull Island. (The second Monstersverse film) it looks pulpy and fun, which is exactly how I feel The character of King Kong should be handled. Do not misunderstand me, I enjoyed King Kong, (2005) especially the action scenes and monster designs. I chose to get the King Kong Pop, both because the character is my second favourite classic giant movie monster, after Godzilla, and because of my anticipation of the Monsterverse. The figure itself is a six inch Pop vinyl, which was another motivation to get it.

Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice (alternatively known as Betelgeuse) is probably Michael Keaton's greatest role, in my mind.
I feel most 80s film villains were bland and generic. there were some very notable exceptions. Darth Vader, Belloq, and of course Beetlejuice. The character is quirky, nasty and (at the time) fairly unique. The Pop vinyl itself is one of the oldest Pops made, as it is 05 in the pop movies line. Overall, I have mixed feelings about Tim Burton. His directing style, that made Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands and Miss peregrine's home for peculiar children so distinctive, also dragged down Batman. (1989) I am one of the few who have more mixed feelings over Tim Burton's Batman films. In particular I have mixed feelings about the portrayal of Batman himself. In that way I will never consider Michael Keaton's Batman even close to being one of the definitive versions of the character. as such it is Beetlejuice who is what I consider Keaton's best role.

Boomerang

I was one of those who were more forgiving of Suicide Squad. To me the second DC Extended Universe film had a sense of goofy fun too it. similar too the first (live action) Transformers film. It's sense of fun (though I felt it struggled with Humour) was refreshing after Zach Snyder's DC films. My opinion of Snyder remains mixed. From positive, (300, Watchmen, Man of Steel.) mixed, (Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, Guardians of Gahoole.) and outright negative. (Sucker Punch.) but his newer films have struggled to bring a sense of fun. with insane CGI action set pieces, a sense of fun needed to prevent fatigue. Suicide Squad partially succeeded in this. In the DC universe Captain Boomerang was one of my favourite Flash villains. Along with Reverse Flash, Zoom, Gorilla Grodd and Captain Cold. And I felt pretty excited when I heard that The Digger Harkness incarnation of the character would appear in the film. Ultimately I enjoyed the portrayal of the character. For God's sake, nearly every character in the film was decently likeable and sympathetic, to the point of feeling like typical super hero film protagonists. Boomerang was one of the exceptions. Crude, Cruel and unpleasant, the character actually felt like a villain that happened to be a protagonist. Also I liked how the character was fairly loyally represented. The Pop is my first Pop Heroes Vinyl.

Eleven With Eggos

Stranger Things was one of the pop culture franchises I only watched for my pop goal. I completely expected to dislike it. too my immense surprise, I found it engaging and interesting and one of the best part was the characters. In particular I was impressed by the child actors. Child actors are typically terrible and I expected no better from the series, but It surprised me. Eleven stands out as one of the greatest roles ever given to a child actor. I really liked the character, and the acting was some of the most impressive, as the actress was pretty young during filming. I had honestly never heard of Eggo waffles before the series, and admittedly I am now curious about the food. the Pop's box has what appears to be, a small amount of water damage on the plastic of the box.























No comments:

Post a Comment